Memorial Day weekend was a weekend of some serious bar-b-que in our house and with my family. We had a bunch of friends to the house on Saturday where we had, bbq chicken, corn on the cob, short ribs, salad and THE BACON BOMB.
What’s that you say? ...‘What the heck is a bacon bomb?!’ Sounds exciting right? Sounds unhealthy right? Sounds yummy?
Well you’d be right all 3 times. It’s fairly easy to prepare and you need a team of 10 to eat it unless you have your own personal cardiologist on stand-buy because this should be a side and not a meal…but hey, do what you want you're grown… calories and fat never count on a holiday someone once told me. So below are step-by-step instructions on how to build your own Bacon Bomb….enjoy with caution. Shout out to Mr. West for introducing me to the concept!
STEP 1:
Assemble your ingredients:
2lbs thick cut bacon
Onion, 1 bell pepper, 4oz fresh mushrooms (or any veggie you want)
BBQ rub
BBQ Sauce
Shredded cheese
3lbs ground pork (I just couldn’t do it, so I used 2lbs and 1lb ground turkey)
STEP 2:
Slice your veggies up. You’ll only need a handful of diced onion, sliced bell pepper and half a container of fresh mushrooms sliced
STEP 3:
Lay your bacon out and weave it like a pie crust top going over, under. Use half the pack for strips going vertical and the other half horizontal. I think I needed about 8 slices each way and had one left over to cover a small gap on the log.
STEP 4:
On a separate cutting board lay out your 3lbs of pork and shape it into a 1 inch square. This is where I just couldn't do all pork...I felt bad so mine had 2 lbs of pork and 1 lb of ground turkey breakfast sausage. I really think you could do it all w/ turkey if you wanted to, by the time the bacon drips all over it...it will taste porky anyways!
STEP 5:
Top the square with a good sprinkling of BBQ rub then top with the veggies. Spoon or slather on about ¼- ½ cup BBQ sauce and top with a handful of shredded cheese.
STEP 6:
Now the tricky part, take the square of pork with all the toppings and starting from the end nearest you roll it up like a big jelly roll until it’s in one big log. It’s messy but make it work.
STEP 7:
Lift the pork log and place it on the woven bacon and roll the bacon around the loaf of meat. I had an extra piece of bacon that didn’t fit into the weave but I needed it to cover part of the exposed log so I used it here.
STEP 8:
Then you take the log and place it on the grill at about 250-275 and smoke it for 3 hours or until it reaches 160 inside. The last 15 minutes you can sprinkle some rub on the outside and brush it with a nice coat of BBQ sauce. (Don’t do this too early or the sauce will burn over the lengthy cooking time) Slice & enjoy! (with caution)
interview with cnn & maddy’s first race.
12 years ago
2 comments:
Did you take any pictures of the slices after it was cooked?
unfortunatley i didn't take any more pictures- we were busy stuffing our faces. It Slices like a meatloaf with the pinwheel of all the cheese/veggies you have inserted inside it and it's very moist
Post a Comment